1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, finely diced
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes I use Yukon Gold potatoes
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups cooked chicken chunks or shredded
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk I use whole milk
1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese cut into chunks
- In large pot (with a lid) melt butter over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add carrots, potato, chicken broth, and salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and parsley. Stir together and let heat through.
- In separate bowl combine flour and milk and mix together until combined. Pour into the soup. Stir.
- Add the chunks of cream cheese into the soup and let it cook for about 5 minutes or until the cream cheese is completely melted into the soup and the soup is thick and creamy.* To ensure no cream cheese chunks, place the unwrapped bar of cream cheese onto a microwave-safe plate, and cook for about 40 seconds. Add the softened cream cheese (no need to cut into chunks if doing it this way) and stir to combine.
- Leftovers keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. I warm them up in the microwave or on the stove top.