This actually is the BEST beef jerky recipe! It’s full of exceptional savory flavors, includes no delivered sweeteners, and it’s irresistibly scrumptious!
Well, having been a large fan of homemade beef jerky ever given that I was little, I have been dreaming about having a dehydrator to make some of my very own for years. It all started out thanks to my brilliant aunt Chris, who generously made batches upon batches of her well-known red meat jerky for our massive own family holiday gatherings every yr. And all 13 of my cousins might scramble to the kitchen to look who should get the most important handful for themselves to munch on due to the fact her beef jerky was heavenly. And honestly, I had no idea how top it turned into until I tried some of the store-offered stuff from a fuel station years later, and will hardly consider that the ones weirdly candy, sticky, and artificial-tasting strips of “pork” had been the equal element. (Actually, I nonetheless experience the equal manner…)
So at the same time as a teenager, I found out that if I desired extraordinary beef jerky-like Aunt Chris’ 12 months-spherical, I turned into going to should discover ways to make it myself. So I knew as her and requested the recipe. And 17 years, 2 dehydrators, and dozens upon dozens upon dozens of batches later, I’m nonetheless making her pork jerky recipe.
So these days, I thought it turned into the approximately dang time I shared approximately it with you too. Because it genuinely is satisfactory.
Ok, my heart is seriously pounding as I’m penning this put up due to the fact I get so dang excited giving people pointers on making killer pork jerky! (<– So bizarre, I recognize but don’t forget about I’m additionally the girl who begged Santa for a dehydrator. #Perspective.) Here are some of my pointers and answers to often requested questions from pals:
Beef: The largest question might be what reduces of beef to shop for. I’ve made red meat jerky with all extraordinary types, but I preferred the past few years has undoubtedly been flank steak. It’s actually one of the priciest alternatives, however, it’s one of the leanest cuts and I love how it makes great thin strips of beef jerky. Other remarkable alternatives are the attention of round, pinnacle or bottom spherical, or London broil. Generally, I just endorse going as lean as possible and trimming off any greater-big sections of fats which you see.
When it involves reducing the beef, I advocate slicing it about as skinny as feasible (1/8 to one/4-inch thick). And then in case you want a chewier jerky (which I weirdly like), slice the beef with the grain. And in case you want a more smooth jerky, slice the meat in opposition to the grain. You’re welcome to do this yourself at domestic (simply pop the steak in the freezer for 15-20 minutes before cutting to help corporation it up a bit). OR, possibilities are, the butcher behind the meat counter of your local grocery store might be satisfied to do it for you too. (<– Probably for free!)
Marinade: So, my biggest gripe with most shop-offered beef jerky is that it is waaaayyyyy too sweet. I love my pork jerky great and peppery and savory. So my marinade consists actually of soy sauce, Worcestershire, black pepper, liquid smoke, onion powder, pro salt, and garlic powder. And then for those of you who love pepper as lots as I do, I incredibly recommend cracking a few more black pepper on top of the strips as soon as you have got laid them out to cook. The pepperier, the higher in case you inquire from me.
If you do show up to like sweeter pork jerky, just upload 1/four cup of maple syrup to the marinade. And if you like spicier red meat jerky, I recommend sprinkling some beaten pink pepper flakes on top of the jerky as it chefs.
Dehydrator vs. Oven: Probably the main query I listen from buddies is how to make beef jerky without a dehydrator. It’s absolutely feasible within the oven. But so as for it to cook dinner evenly, I advocate laying the jerky out on cord racks which might be positioned on the pinnacle of foil-blanketed baking sheets. I recognize that some human beings want to simply lay the jerky out directly on the oven racks themselves, after which place a sheet of aluminum foil on the lowest of the oven to trap the dripping juices, however, I’ve attempted it and — heads up — it’s messy. So as an alternative, I advise the wire rack approach.
But that stated, I still assume cooking beef jerky inside the dehydrator yields the most consistent and quality outcomes. I’ve owned 2 special dehydrators and could say that generation has stepped forward drastically over time. For among $35-75, you should purchase an incredible dehydrator in recent times on the way to cook dinner the jerky frivolously and speedy. And of the path, you can additionally use the dehydrator to make all kinds of fruit and veggie and kale chips, and all styles of different top stuff. So if you take place to like red meat jerky as a great deal as I do, I could absolutely suggest the Cuisinart dehydrator that I presently own.
- 2 pounds flank steak (or eye of round or top round steak)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Thinly-slice the steak into 1/8-inch thick strips, either with the grain (which will result in a chewier beef jerky) or against the grain (which will be more tender). I recommend popping the steak in the freezer for 15-30 minutes before slicing so that it is easier to cut. (Or the butchers working behind the meat counters at most grocery stores will also do this for you if you ask.)
- Transfer the strips of steak to a large ziplock bag*.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients until combined. Pour the mixture into the ziplock bag with the steak, seal the bag, and toss until the steak is evenly coated.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 1 day.
- If you’re making the jerky in a dehydrator, lay the strips out in a single layer on the trays of your dehydrator. Then follow the dehydrator’s instructions to cook the beef jerky until it is dry and firm, yet still a little bit pliable. (With my dehydrator, that meant cooking the jerky on medium heat for about 8 hours. But cooking times will vary based on the thickness of your meat, and the heat/brand of your dehydrator.) Remove jerky and transfer to a sealed container. Refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- If you’re making the jerky in the oven, heat oven to 175°F. Adjust the racks to the upper-middle and lower-middle positions. Line two large baking sheets with aluminum foil, and place wire cooling racks on top of each sheet. Lay the strips out in a single layer on the wire racks. Bake until the beef jerky until it is dry and firm, yet still, a little bit pliable, about 4 hours, flipping the beef jerky once about halfway through. (Cooking times will vary based on the thickness of your meat.) Remove jerky and transfer to a sealed container. Refrigerate for up to 1 month.