Thai basil chicken is spicy, sweet, and savory and oh simple! The quick and tasty one-dish meal exceptional for weeknights.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken (cut into a 1/2 inch dice)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 Thai chile or serrano pepper, minced
- 1 tsp green chili paste
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 3 Tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups Holy basil (Thai basil or Italian basil can be substituted)
- *Jasmine rice for serving
Heat the oil in a wok over high heat.
Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
Toss the chicken with cornstarch to coat and add to wok. Cook for about 5 minutes until almost cooked through, stirring frequently.
Add chile, chile paste, sherry, fish sauce, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Stir and cook until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes.
Add chicken stock and cook an additional 3 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
Stir in the basil. Serve immediately over jasmine rice if desired.