This easy White Chicken Chili recipe is made with white beans, a trio of chiles and plenty of seasonings for optimum flavor.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions (finely chopped)
- 2 jalapeño peppers (seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 poblano peppers (seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 Anaheim pepper(seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tables oonsall-purpose flour
- 4cups chicken stock
- 45 oz can cannellini beans (rinsed, drained, and divided)
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup heavy cream
Monterey Jack cheese
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until it is shimmering. Add the onions, peppers, cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Cook until the vegetables have softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add the flour and stir until no raw flour remains and it emits a nutty aroma, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in the chicken stock. Add 1 can of the beans and, using a potato masher, mash the beans in the pot, creating a thicker texture.
Stir in the remaining beans, the chicken, lime juice and remaining salt, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and warm for an additional 5 minutes. Serve immediately with additional lime wedges, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro or sour cream. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.