Scrumptious creamy chicken korma made with yogurt, nuts, spices, and onions because of the base. That is first-class served plain rice, naan, paratha or roti.
INGREDIENTS (1 CUP = 240ML )
- ½ kg CHICKEN (bone-in) (1 to 1.2 lb)
- 1/8 to ¼ tsp ground turmeric or Haldi
- 3 tbsps YOGURT OR CURD (plain)
- 1 tbsp GINGER GARLIC PASTE (ground or crushed in equal quantities)
- ¾ to 1 tsp GARAM MASALA or korma masala
- 1 to 1 ¼ tsp red chili powder (less spicy variety, minimum ½ tsp)
- Salt as needed (I used ½ tsp sea salt)
To saute & make a paste
- 1 ½ to 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 cup onions sliced
- 6 Cashews
- 4 almonds (optional)
- 4 tbsp yogurt (or ¼ cup curd for paste)
For chicken korma gravy
- 1 small bay leaf or tej patta (optional)
- 4 cloves or laung (optional)
- 2-inch cinnamon piece or dalchini (optional)
- 1 cardamom or elaichi (optional)
- 1 to 2 green chilies slit
- 1 to 1 ¼ cup water for gravy
- salt for gravy as needed (I used about ½ tsp)
- ½ to ¾ tsp GARAM MASALA
- 1½ tsp Coriander powder
- ¼ tsp red chili powder (optional, for color)
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves or cilantro chopped
HOW TO MAKE THE RECIPE
Marination for chicken korma recipe
Marinate chicken with 3 tbsp yogurt, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp salt, 1 to 1¼ tsp red chili powder and ¾ to 1 tsp garam masala.
Cover this and set aside until needed.
Make onion paste
Heat a pan with 1½ to 2 tbsps oil and add 4 cardamoms.
Add sliced onions and fry them evenly until golden brown.
Next, add cashews and almonds. Cool these completely.
Later add the cooled onions and nuts to a blender jar along with yogurt.
Make a smooth paste of these. Set this aside.
How to make chicken korma
To the same pan, add 1 tsp oil and heat it.
Optional – Saute whole spices – bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom in oil for a min.
Add green chili and marinated chicken.
Fry on medium heat until the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes away.
Then add the onion curd paste. Pour 1 cup water and mix well.
Add salt, coriander powder, and garam masala. If desired you can also add more chili powder for color.
Mix well. Cover and cook on a low flame until chicken is cooked to tender.
Cook further till the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve chicken korma with plain basmati rice, naan, roti or paratha