Chicken Egg Roll Bowls with Sweet and Sour Sauce from delish.Com is converting the manner we usually eat egg rolls and we approve.
FOR SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
1/2 c. pineapple juice
1/4 c. rice vinegar
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. ketchup
2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (could also use ground chicken or ground turkey)
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. freshly minced ginger
1 c. shredded carrot
1/4 green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/4 c. low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp. sriracha
Thinly sliced green onions, for garnish
2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, whisk water and cornstarch together, then whisk into saucepan. Let simmer until sauce is thickened, 10 minutes. Let cool slightly. The sauce will continue to thicken when cooling.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat vegetable oil. Add chicken and cook until golden and cooked through, 5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and let cool 5 minutes on a cutting board, then thinly slice.
- Return skillet over medium heat and heat sesame oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add carrot, cabbage, and chicken and cook until cabbage is tender 5 minutes. Add soy sauce and Sriracha and stir to combine.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds and serve with sweet and sour sauce