What makes this recipe of chicken so genius? The cheese “tortilla”! To ensure you don’t have any trouble casting off the quesadilla from the tray, allow it cool for 1 to 2 minutes. When it’s barely cool, it is an awful lot less difficult to separate from the parchment paper. If you have an offset spatula, now it’s time to shine!
Freshly ground black pepper
Sour cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400º and line two medium baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add pepper and onion and season with chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until soft, 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cheeses. Add 1 1/2 cups of cheese mixture into the center of both prepared baking sheets. Spread into an even layer and shape into a circle, the size of a flour tortilla.
- Bake cheeses until melty and slightly golden around the edge, 8 to 10 minutes. Add onion-pepper mixture, shredded chicken, and avocado slices to one half of each. Let cool slightly, then use the parchment paper and a small spatula to gently lift and fold one side of the cheese “tortilla” over the side with the fillings. Return to oven to heat, 3 to 4 minutes more. Repeat to make 2 more quesadillas.
- Cut each quesadilla into quarters. Garnish with green onion and sour cream before serving.