For tips on this dish, I knew as my mom, who ended up giving me my grandma’s recipes Chicken & Dumplings. It’s as hand-me-down as it comes, and it immediately made me think of my early life. This smooth recipe is ideal on a cold night and simple sufficient to make whilst you don’t feel like making something. If you want an excellent simpler direction, we have the correct slow-cooker model, too!
Freshly ground black pepper
Freshly chopped parsley, for serving
- Make the soup: In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook until tender, 5 minutes. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add broth, chicken, and thyme to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through 10 minutes. Remove chicken and shred with two forks.
- While the soup is simmering, make dumplings: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the flour and add egg, buttermilk, and melted butter and whisk with a fork until combined.
- Add shredded chicken and heavy cream to pot, then return to a simmer. Drop spoonfuls of dumpling mix into the pot, cover and cook on low until dumplings are cooked through about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.