Chicken biryani is such an easy and delicious dinner. Served over fluffy white rice, it’s hard to resist.
2 c. basmati rice
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2″ pieces
1 5cm piece ginger, peeled and minced
5 yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
1 red chili, thinly sliced
2 1/2 tsp. garam masala
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
1 bay leaf
1 c. water
1/2 c. golden raisins
Sliced almonds, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350º. Rinse rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season generously with salt. Add rice and boil until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook until golden on both sides, about 7 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and onions to the skillet and reduce heat to medium and cook until golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer half the onions into a bowl and reserve for serving. Return skillet to medium heat and add the ginger, garlic, chili, garam masala, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add yogurt, turmeric, bay leaf, and water. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to skillet and add raisins. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until chicken is just cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- In a baking dish, spoon half the rice followed by half the chicken mixture and half the reserved onion. Repeat with remaining rice, chicken, and onion. Cover and bake until warm, 30 minutes.