Creole Chicken and Sausage? I don’t really know how to explain it, but it’s like whoa yummy combination we have going on up here.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 ounces smoked Andouille sausage, cut into small rounds
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 14 ounces can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions for topping
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (randomly delicious)
- salt to taste
- brown rice for serving
- Place the essential ingredients in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Shred the chicken directly in the crockpot to your desired texture. Add the extras, if you want, and cover and cook for another 20-30 minutes. This is also a great time to make your rice if you’re serving it with rice. When everything is ready, taste the chicken mixture and season with salt. Serve the creole chicken over rice and topped with green onions.