A short and smooth fowl tinga taco recipe. Tender chicken with hearth-roasted tomato and chipotle pepper sauce in warm corn tortillas crowned with cotija cheese, avocado, and cilantro.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Onion chopped
- (1) 10-ounce Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- (2) Chipotle Chilies in Adobo Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 3 cups Shredded Chicken (from a rotisserie chicken or poached chicken)
- 6-12 Corn Tortillas (warmed)
- Cotija Cheese or favorite Mexican cheeses
- 1-2 Avocados or Guacamole
In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes until onion begins to soften. Add tomatoes, chipotle chilies, garlic salt, and cumin. Simmer for 6-7 minutes.
Transfer the tomato mixture to a blender and blend the tomato mixture in a blender just until pureed. Return to pan and toss with shredded chicken. Check for seasoning and add salt, if needed.
Warm the corn tortillas. Fill corn tortillas with chipotle chicken and top with Mexican cotija cheese, cilantro, and avocado. A sprinkle of lime adds a fresh flavor. May use guacamole instead for more robust flavor.