Grilling concentrates on the flavor of fresh infant carrots. (Bagged “baby” carrots will by no means taste the equal.) Bryce Gilmore marinates them, then tosses them with an awesome and uncommon dressing he makes via cooking the butter until brown, then pureeing it with Marcona almonds and sherry vinegar.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 pound baby carrots, halved lengthwise and tops trimmed to 1 inch
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons Marcona almonds, plus chopped almonds for garnish
- 5 ounces baby arugula
How to Make It
In a bowl, combine the olive oil, paprika, fennel, coriander, garlic, and thyme. Add the carrots and let stand for 2 hours.
Preheat a grill pan. Remove the carrots from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning, until crisp-tender, 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook the butter over moderate heat until lightly browned and nutty-smelling, shaking the pan gently, about 5 minutes. Scrape the butter and solids into a blender. Add the vinegar, water and the 2 tablespoons of almonds; puree until smooth. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
Add the vinaigrette and arugula to the carrots; toss to coat. Transfer the salad to plates, sprinkle with chopped almonds and serve.