As clean as a pumpkin quiche! Take pumpkin, goat cheese, and spinach and throw all of them collectively in a quiche. Add a few caramelized onions, walnuts, and you’ve got the satisfactory vegetarian seasonal quiche!
FOR THE DOUGH:
- 1 stick (125g) unsalted butter, diced
- 1½ cup (180g) all-purpose flour + extra for dusting
- 2 Tablespoons cold water (or more if needed)
FOR THE FILLING:
- 30 oz (800 g) pumpkin, cut into large pieces
- 1–2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 cups (450g) fresh spinach
- Salt & pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 7 oz (200g) goat cheese
- 1/2 cup (65g) nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- For the pie crust: preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Dice butter and mix quickly with flour and water until the ingredients stick together and form a firm dough. Roll a large rectangle and line an 11 x 7-inch (about 28 x 18 cm or slightly bigger) form with the crust.*
- Cook the chopped pumpkin in a large volume of water until soft and tender. Sieve, and puree with a fork.
- In a medium frying pan, heat olive oil and once hot, melt the onions. When they start to golden, add sugar and caramelize them, about 5-10 minutes.
- In another frying pan, saute the spinach with olive oil until they reduce by half. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Mix the eggs with the goat cheese. Add the walnuts, mashed pumpkins, onions and spinach. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Pour the mixture onto the crust, and bake for about 40 minutes, or until cooked through.
* An option is to roll a large disk and roll a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan.