The crisp-smooth texture and robust flavor of thinly sliced buffet Tuscan kale rise up to the tart, Caesar-like dressing of this hearty slaw. serve as a primary route or as a facet with grilled chicken, pork, or lamb.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled
- 14 ounces Tuscan kale or other kale, center stalks removed, thinly sliced crosswise (about 8 cups)
- **Ingredient Info:**Tuscan kale—also called cavolo nero, Lacinato, black kale, or dinosaur kale—has long, narrow, bumpy dark-green leaves. You can find it at better supermarkets and at farmers’ markets.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a blender; purée until smooth. With machine running, slowly add oil, drop by drop, to make a creamy dressing. Transfer dressing to a bowl and stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill. DO AHEAD: Dressing can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.
- Separate egg white from the yolk. Place egg white in a coarse-mesh strainer set over a bowl. Press egg white through strainer with the back of a spoon; scrape egg white from bottom of strainer. Repeat with egg yolk, using a clean strainer and bowl. DO AHEAD: Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover bowls separately and chill.
- Toss kale and dressing in a large bowl to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and sieved eggs.