We pass nuts over hamburgers. Just take a look at our quest for the remaining Keto burger for evidence. Sadly, every so often we must reduce back at the carbs or, truly, we simply crave the more cool crunch iceberg. Replacing the buns with lettuce we could sense a touch extra lax on our burger cravings. It’s a win-win.
Freshly ground black pepper
Ranch dressing, for serving
- Slice 8 large rounds from the edges of the head of the iceberg to create buns.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, reserving bacon fat in the pan.
- Add onion slices and cook until tender, about 3 minutes per side. Set aside red onions and wipe skillet clean.
- Return skillet over medium-high heat. Shape ground beef into 4 large burger patties. Season both sides of patties with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook until seared on both sides and cooked to your liking, about 4 minutes per side for medium. Top each burger with a slice of cheese, then cover skillet with a lid and cook until cheese has melted, about 1 minute more.
- To build each burger, top one iceberg round with the cooked cheeseburger, a slice of bacon, and a tomato slice, then drizzle with ranch. Top with second iceberg round. Repeat with remaining ingredients and serve.