Classic Italian eggplant parm is one of our favorites dishes in the world, but it is simply a labor of love. And if we’re being honest, we’re no longer continually down to put in the work. Enter: this healthier, easier bake. Instead of frying every individual piece of eggplant, you bake them all at once till they’re high-quality and crispy.
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray. In a shallow bowl, whisk together panko, 1/2 cup Parmesan, and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, whisk eggs with 2 tablespoons water and season with salt and pepper.
- Dip an eggplant slice into egg wash, then dredge in panko mixture. Place on baking sheet. Repeat to coat all eggplant slices. Spray tops lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake until soft inside, and golden and crisp on the outside, 30 to 35 minutes.
- In a large baking dish, add a cup of marinara and spread evenly. Add an even layer of eggplant slices, then pour 1 1/2 cup marinara on top. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella, half of the remaining Parmesan, and fresh basil. Repeat process once more to use up all ingredients.
- Bake until bubbly and golden, 15 to 17 minutes more.