Tonight I will be making an Italian Macaroni and Cheese. You will need, gruyere cheese, parmigiana cheese, bechamel, and pancetta.
1 lb. Italian sausage (hot or sweet), casings removed
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
12 oz. cavatappi
1 oz. (16-oz.) jar marinara
4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 c. half-and-half or heavy cream
2 c. shredded mozzarella, divided
Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° In a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until seared and no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until soft, 5 minutes more.
- Add cavatappi and stir until coated, then pour over marinara and broth and season with salt. Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until pasta is al dente and almost all liquid has been absorbed about 25 minutes.
- Stir in half-and-half and simmer until mostly absorbed, 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in half of the mozzarella.
- Transfer mixture to a large baking dish and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake until cheese is bubbly and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.