Roasted Broccoli and Chicken Bake are constructed by broccoli bouquets antecedently cut, we tend to prefer to cut them out of the top (about two during this case) and keep the stems for one more meal.
1 c. pearl barley
3 c. lower-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 large carrot
1 small onion
2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
2 clove garlic
8 oz. mushrooms
1/4 c. water
6 c. broccoli florets
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In large microwave-safe bowl, stir together barley and broth. Cover with vented plastic wrap; microwave on high 20 to 25 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium-high. Add chicken; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook 4 minutes or until golden, stirring once. With slotted spoon, transfer chicken to bowl.
- To skillet, add carrot, onion, and thyme; cook 3 minutes, stirring. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring, then add mushrooms and water, scraping up browned bits. Cook 2 minutes; remove from heat. Stir in chicken and barley; transfer to shallow 3-quart baking dish.
- Toss broccoli with 1/8 teaspoon salt and remaining oil; arrange on top of barley mixture. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until broccoli is tender.