Indulge in a chicken gyro while not totally pampering — our homemade dish version boosts the health advantages of this summer favorite with associate degree array of contemporary vegetables and cuts down on fat.
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
2 clove garlic
2 tsp. honey
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 medium yellow or orange peppers
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 c. chopped romaine lettuce
3 large tomatoes
1 seedless cucumber
c. chopped, pitted green olives
1/4 c. red onion
1/2 c. crushed pita chips
1/4 c. crumbled feta cheese
- Prepare grill for covered direct grilling on medium.
- From lemon, grate peel and squeeze the juice into a large bowl. Whisk in oil, garlic, honey, and oregano. Transfer 3 tablespoons dressing to large resealable bag along with chicken and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Marinate, refrigerated, 15 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, grill peppers 10 minutes or until tender, turning over once. Transfer to cutting board.
- Grill chicken 12 to 14 minutes or until cooked through (165 degrees F), turning over once. Transfer to board with peppers; let stand 5 minutes. Thinly slice chicken; chop peppers.
- Into bowl with dressing, stir 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper, chopped peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and onion. Transfer to serving bowl; top with chicken, pita chips, and feta.